Webpage created: December 20, 2018
Webpage updated: December 20, 2018
BAPTIST CHAPELS IN OLD DEVONPORT
Oldest of the Puritan or Nonconformist congregations in Plymouth were the Baptists. It is thought that they arrived here from Holland and were already in residence when the Pilgrim Fathers left Plymouth in 1620 for America. But their earliest records start in 1648, when a fuller by the name of Mr Abraham Cheare, was baptised into the movement. He must have quickly made a name for himself because only one year later he was invited by no fewer than 150 local Baptists to become pastor of their congregation, which he accepted.
The oldest of the Baptists chapels in Plymouth-Dock, second only to the one in old Plymouth, was that built in the Liberty Fields area in 1781. In due course this became the Pembroke Street Baptist Chapel. It remained the only place of worship in Plymouth-Dock for Baptists until the Reverend Isaiah Birt purchased the old Wesleyan chapel in Morice Square. Morice Square Baptist Chapel was opened for worship in 1798.
The first Ford Baptist Chapel was opened in May 1868.
Saint Budeaux Baptist Chapel was opened in 1902.
In 1924 the Hope Baptist congregation moved temporarily into Pounds House, which was actually in old Plymouth, prior to opening their new Hope Baptist Chapel in Peverell Park Road in 1928.