Webpage created: September 14, 2018
Webpage updated: September 14, 2018
DEVONPORT HIGHER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
On November 1st 1906 Stoke Public Higher School in Keppel Place, Devonport, was officially transferred to the Devonport local Education Authority, although the final payment of £575 17s 11d due to its previous owners was not made until November 23rd 1906.
The School continued as if nothing had happened, of course, but became known as the Devonport Higher Elementary School. The school badge was altered accordingly.
Plans for a brand new building were put before the Local Education Authority (otherwise known as the Education Committee of Devonport Borough Council) in September 1907. It was to have three floors, with a partly covered playground at ground floor level for the boys while the girls, being made of much sterner stuff, had to endure the elements on the roof. It was originally planned to house 440 boys ion eleven classrooms and 280 girls in seven classrooms but the number of boys was later reduced to 340.
On September 1st 1908 the pupils vacated the old school and moved to rooms in Devonport Technical School, the Exmouth Hall, Paradise Road School and the Haddington Road Methodist Chapel's Sunday School, amongst others.
Alderman Littleton, Chairman of the Education Committee, laid the foundation stone of the new building on December 9th 1908. It was to be constructed by Mr A N Coles and was estimated to cost £11,180.
When the building was officially opened in September 1909 it was known as the Stoke Public Higher Elementary School.