Webpage created: December 21, 2018
Webpage updated: December 21, 2018
FORD ELEMENTARY COUNCIL SCHOOL
Following the transfer of responsibilities for education from the School Board to the Local Education Authourity in 1903, Ford and Cambridge Road Board Schools became Ford Elementary Schools.
The Headmistress of the infant school in in Melville Road in 1935 was Miss E A Ferguson. The Headmaster of the mixed junior school in Cambridge Road was Mr F R Glanville. Also in the Cambridge Road building was a senior girls' school, under Headmistress Miss G M Yeal.
It would appear that boys were first admitted to the senior school in 1942, presumably because of the lack of spaces at other schools following the destruction of many during the Plymouth Blitz. Ford Junior Mixed school received a hit on the tower section, which was completely destroyed. Ford Senior Girls' School suffered some broken windows and doors but the only direct hit was on the lavatories.
Under the reorganisation of education brought about by the Education Act 1944, as from Sunday April 1st 1945 the School became Ford Primary School, with the infants and juniors together in Melville Road. The Cambridge Road building became Ford Secondary Modern School.