Webpage created: September 14, 2018
Webpage updated: September 14, 2018
KEPPEL PLACE CENTRAL SCHOOL
By July 1921 the name of the Stoke Public Higher Elementary School had been changed to Keppel Place Central School.
Mr A L Strachan BA became Headmaster of Keppel Place Central School on June 23rd 1924.
On September 9th 1924 the title went through another change, this time to the “Plymouth Devonport Keppel Place Secondary School for Boys” but the name was not popular and seems to have not been used in public.
But things happened quickly and suddenly in those days, as they do today, and on July 26th 1926 it was announced that the School would be closing on July 30th. The Headmaster may have known about this decision as the Board of Education apparently approved it on July 13th 1926.
The boys were transferred in to Plymouth to become founder members of the new Sutton Secondary School for Boys in Regent Street, while the girls remained at Keppel Place but were joined by the girls from the Regent Street Central School in Plymouth to form Stoke Damerel Secondary School for Girls.