OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: March 18, 2016.
Webpage updated: March 18, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

THE MILITARY IN OLD DEVONPORT

RACKET-COURT BARRACKS

The Racket-Court Barracks was located at the rear of Clowance Street.

They were private dwellings bought by the Government for use as barracks in an emergency but were not calculated for the purpose.

It apparently derived its name from a court for playing tennis which existed on the site. 

The Barracks was sold after the downfall of Napoleon and became Harris's Amphitheatre, where 'feats of horsemanship are performed at intervals', stated Robert Brindley in 1830.