OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 08, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 08, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

THE MILITARY IN OLD DEVONPORT

THE LABORATORY

The Laboratory, which was also known as Mount Wise Barracks, was situated at the very southern end of Plymouth-Dock between Mutton Cove and Mount Wise.

It was described in 1823 as:

'The Laboratory consist of twenty-one detached buildings, inclosed (sic) by a high wall, and forming an oblong square.  These buildings are designed to be used as workshops, for smiths, joiners, harness makers, and other tradesmen employed in the manufactory of stores requisite for an equipment of a military expedition.  Neat houses for officers are erected on the eastern side, where the entranced is also situated.'

The site is still in use today by a Government surplus dealer.