Webpage created: February 19, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 19, 2016
MORICE STREET WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL
The Morice Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was situated in Morice Street, between Granby Street and Cannon Street.
This Chapel started as the "Higher Room" in Princes Street, where workers from the parent Ker Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel began services. The Chapel was erected in 1807.
In celebration of its centenary, the building was re-decorated and re-seated.
The Chapel was sold as part of a scheme started in December 1924 to reorganise Methodism in Devonport. It was amalgamated with the Ker Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and a new Devonport Methodist Mission was created. Both Chapels were replaced in 1926 by the Devonport Methodist Central Hall in Fore Street.