OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 22, 2016.
Webpage updated: May 14, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

RAILWAYS IN OLD DEVONPORT  |  BRITISH RAILWAYS  |  WESTERN REGION MAIN LINE 1955

SAINT BUDEAUX STATION GWR

When the Cornwall Railway Company built their line from Plymouth to Cornwall the first stopping place after Devonport Station was at Saltash.

Saint Budeaux Platform was opened by the Great Western Railway Company for their new suburban service to Saltash Station on Wednesday June 1st 1904.

During 1906 the Up platform was extended to 410 feet in length and the Down platform to 407 feet.  A new booking office and waiting room was provided on the Up side and the waiting "alcove" from Ford Platform was erected on the Down platform at an estimated cost of 445.

There were four staff at Saint Budeaux from 1913 until 1937 and they apparently issued an ever increasing number of tickets, from 1,967 in 1913 to 5,476 in 1938.  The number of season tickets issued doubled to 1,436 over the same period.  It was unstaffed after 1937.

Saint Budeaux was not a block post station.  It was sandwiched between Saint Budeaux East Signal Box, at the junction of the Royal Naval Ordnance Depot Branch, and Saint Budeaux West Signal Box close to the one at the Royal Albert Bridge.

Upon nationalisation of the railway network as British Railways on January 1st 1948 the station became Saint Budeaux Ferry Road Station to distinguish it from the former Southern Railway one at Saint Budeaux Victoria Road.

The Station is still open, albeit with much reduced passenger accommodation, and has reverted to being called just Saint Budeaux.