OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: December 05, 2017.
Webpage updated: December 05, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD DEVONPORT

CHAPMAN'S OPE

Between Cannon Street and Holman's Buildings, cutting across Cornwall Street, ran three openings, known in Devonport as "Opes": Cannon Street Ope was the first, Chapman's Ope, the second, and Webster's Ope, the last before Cornwall Beach.

In 1914 Chapman's Ope contained six residences, two of which, numbers 2 and 3, were occupied by Mr W J Dunn, an iron founder in the Royal Dockyard.

The entrance to Cornwall Street Board School was in Chapman's Ope.  It became the Cornwall Street Council School in 1903.  Miss [Helen A] Condy was the headmistress in 1914.