Webpage created: March 16, 2017.
Webpage updated: March 16, 2017
George Street ran from Cumberland Street westwards to Mount Wise.
Principal buildings in George Street were the Shakespeare Hotel; the Anglican Church of Saint Stephen, along with its ornate vicarage; and the Chapel Wine Vaults of Messrs A and C Barnes.
Admiralty Offices were located at numbers 38 and 39 George Street.
The only Licensed Landmarks, in addition to the Shakespeare Hotel, were beer retailers at the corner with Pembroke Street and next door to Findlay's Drug Stores.
One of the principal residents in 1914 was Police Inspector J Willcocks, of the Borough Police.