Webpage created: April 08, 2017.
Webpage updated: April 08, 2017
James Street, a continuation southwards of Catherine Street, ran from the junction of Duke Street and Northbrook Street to Mutton Cove.
The principal buildings existing in 1914 were the Workmen's Dwellings between Duke Street and Duncan Street, the Moravian Chapel, the Anglican Church of Saint Mary the Virgin, the Roman Catholic Church of Saint Michael and Saint Joseph, and the Schools attached to the Roman Catholic Church.
There were a number of Licensed Landmarks: the Queen and Constitution Inn on the corner of Duncan Street, the Oporto Inn on the corner of Mount Street, the New Pier Vaults on the western side of the Street, and two beer retailers.
Principal businesses in James Street in 1914 were Mr W Bishop, plumber and gas fitter, Mr C Harvey, baker, Mr J Soper, fish dealer, Mr T F Stidever, pawnbroker, Messrs Ash and Son's cork and wine and spirit merchants, Mr A W Dubbin's mineral water manufactory, and Miss Martin, the news agent. There were several general shops and even a toy shop.