OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: December -5, 2017.
Webpage updated: December 05, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD DEVONPORT

MARKET STREET

Market Street ran from Devonport Market and the Market Square to Chapel Street, immediately outside the front door of the Anglican Church of Saint Aubyn.

The entire street between Market Square and Cross Street was occupied by Messrs H  J and E A Boolds Limited, the Devonport drapers, who also occupied the opposite corner, numbers 31 to 33 Market Street, between Tavistock Street and Cross Street.  The only other prominent building in Market Street was the corner premises of the Devonport and Western Counties Blind Institution but it's address was actually in Saint Aubyn Street.

The Globe Hotel at number 11 and the Post Office Inn at number 20, both on the north side, were the only Licensed Landmarks in Market Street.

In 1914 there were a number of general dealers or shop keepers several wardrobe or furniture dealers and a hair dresser.