Webpage created: March 21, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 14, 2017
Pond Lane, so named because it used to lead to a pond, ran northwards from Market Square to York Street.
In 1914 the Salvation Army Home was at numbers 15 and 16, conveniently situated next door to Mr Samuel Cross's dining rooms. The stores belonging to Messrs Stephens and Company, wholesale and family wine and spirit, ale and stout merchants, of Catherine Street, was situated in the Lane.
On the eastern side
was the side of York Street Elementary Council School (previous to 1903, the
Cherry Garden Street/York Street Board School).