OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: March 04, 2017.
Webpage updated: March 04, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD DEVONPORT

PROSPECT ROW

Prospect Row, with most of its "prospect" blocked by Mount Wise Signal Station.
From Ordnance Survey sheet CXXIII.11, published in 1914.

Prospect Row, which ran from James Street past Monument Street and Canterbury Street to Fort Street, was the most southerly roadway within The Lines at Devonport but it had little "prospect" because the Mount Wise Signal Station, the wall of Mount Wise Barracks and the Roman Catholic Church and Schools obstructed the view southwards towards Plymouth Sound.

Messrs A Ash and Son, cork and wine and spirit merchants, had their stables at numbers 1, 2, and 3, next to the mineral water manufactory of Mr A W Dubbin on the corner with James Street.  In  1914 there was only one shop and two Licensed Landmarks, the Castle and Keys Public House at number 15, on the corner of Canterbury Street, and the Carpenter's Arms at number 4, on the corner with Monument Street.

The principal building was the Roman Catholic Church of Saint Michael and Saint Joseph, which was actually entered from James Street.