Webpage created: April 07, 2017.
Webpage updated: April 07, 2017
Modern maps show Saltash Road, Devonport, as running from the junction of Saint Levan Road around by the Royal Naval Barracks to the junction with Wolseley Road at Camel's Head.
The highway itself was constructed in the 1830s by the Saltash Turnpike Trust, under which more details are given.
On the same side as the Barracks, the western side, was at one time the Sportsman's Arms Public House but this was later demolished.
The entire eastern side was, and still is, known as Johnston Terrace, sometimes incorrectly spelt as Johnstone Terrace. This stretches from Admiralty Street, where the numbering began, to what before the Second World War was Goschen Street. Next towards Saint Levan Road were the entrance to the Royal Naval Engineering College's Recreation Ground and Keyham Cottages, both of which were listed as being in Keyham Road not Saltash Road.
In 1914 there were 63 properties in Johnston Terrace, of which the principal ones were the Royal Naval Arms Public House, licensed to Mr J Bosworthick, and the Johnston Terrace Council School, formerly Johnston Terrace Board School.
Businesses that lined the Road in 1914 included Mr J P Cundy's Devonia Dairy, Miss Jinks's general dealers, Mrs Carter's tobacconists and newsagents, a draper, tailor and milliner next door to each other, Mr T T Bishop's bakery and confectionery, Mr J Goddard's gentlemen's outfitters, and Mr A Hall's laundry in the two end properties, numbers 62 and 63.