Webpage created: March 17,, 2016.
Webpage updated: April 18, 2017
Attached to the Royal Dockyard in 1830 was the convict ship "The Captivity", which had previously been HMS "Bellerophon" upon which Napoleon Buonaparte had surrendered and been displayed in Plymouth Sound.
It accommodated at that time 400 convicts, who were employed in various departments of the Dockyard.
The Master was a Mr
Kellock, Royal Navy. In addition there were the Chaplain, the Reverend
H Wynter, and the Surgeon, Mr John Williams.