Webpage created: March 23, 2017.
Webpage updated: January 12, 2019
SAINT JOSEPH'S ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOLS
The origin of Saint Joseph's Roman Catholic Schools, Devonport, goes back to 1830, when it was started by Father Thomas Costello in a small room of a house in Granby Street. When it outgrew that the School moved to larger premises in Chapel Street.
The site of the Roman Catholic
Church of Saint Joseph and its Schools
Finally, in 1860, it moved into its own buildings adjacent to the newly erected Roman Catholic Church of Saint Michael and Saint Joseph in James Street, Mutton Cove. The premises were enlarged in 1863.
The Roman Catholic Church of Saint
Joseph and the
Following the adoption of the Education Act 1902 on June 1st 1903, the School became a "Non-provided" School under the Devonport Local Education Authority.
In 1914, just before the amalgamation with Plymouth, Mr Donnelly was the Head Master, Miss Longton, the Head Mistress, and Miss Spriggs, the Head Mistress of the Infants' School.