Webpage created: March 16, 2016
Webpage updated: May 19, 2019
SALTASH FERRY (FLOATING BRIDGE)
From around the time of the Norman Conquest until 1270 the rights for the ferry from Saltash Passage on the Plymouth side of the river Tamar to Saltash belonged to the Valletort family. When Roger de Valletort sold Trematon Castle and Manor to Richard Earl of Cornwall, the rent was paid to the Earl’s bailiff. This amounted to £6 18s in the 1290s. The Burgesses of Saltash leased the ferry from the Duchy of Cornwall from 1337 onwards for £10 a year. The Duchy provided the boat. They continued to hold the lease except for one year, 1356-57, when the Black Prince leased it to his military porter, William Lenche, in recognition of his services at Poitiers. In 1385 the rights were granted to the Mayor and Burgesses of Saltash for 200 years. Rent was always payable to the Duchy of Cornwall although in 1585, 1678, 1683 ad 1774 Queen Elizabeth granted the ‘benefits of passage’. By 1618 the rent was £20 per year.
On May 29th 1733 the ferry overturned and sank with the loss of 20 lives. In 1764 the ferry fares were advertised in the “Sherborne Mercury” as 7s 6d for a coach and six horses, 5s for a carriage and four; 2s 6d for a carriage and pair; 1s 3d for one-horse chair. In 1772 the rent was £223. In 1804 the rent for working the old horse boat was £360 pa. In 1832 the Earl of Morley, Mr A Edgcumbe, Sir William Molesworth and Others secured an Act of Parliament so they could purchase ferry rights and establish a steam-powered floating bridge. The Saltash Floating Bridge Act 1832 received the Royal Assent on March 24th 1832.
Floating Bridge Number 1 was launched in 1832 but withdrawn in 1834, as a result of which Saltash Corporation claimed the ferry rights back. They put their old horse-boats back in service at the old rates.
On May 31st 1850 a new lease was granted for 21 years at a rent of £195 per annum to a new company who proposed to reintroduce the steam ferry service. Floating Bridge Number 2 started running in 1851 for four trips every hour. The crossing time was six minutes. It was announced at the opening ceremony that the tolls for the transportation of cattle had been lowered to encourage greater use of the ferry and that it was hoped the Saltash Turnpike Trust would do likewise. Floating Bridge Number 2 served until 1865 when she sank at her mooring on the Plymouth side.
The engines from Bridge Number 2 were the only part of her that was salvaged and they were built into Floating Bridge Number 3 in 1865/66. Number 3 served until replaced by Floating Bridge Number 4 in December 1891. The Ferry Service was making a good profit for the Borough of Saltash and paid for many improvements in the Town. Number 4 was replaced for a time in 1895 by a barge lashed to one of Mr Reynold's tugs.
Messrs Willoughby Brothers at Millbay Docks constructed Floating Bridge Number 5, which entered service after an official ceremony in October 1911. Floating Bridge Number 4 was retained as a spare and moored on the Plymouth side. During the change-over of the two vessels, the service was maintained by the old horse-boat, which was sold in 1913 for £2 10 shillings.
On Wednesday September 5th 1917 passage on the Saltash and Torpoint ferries was made free for servicemen and nurses in uniform but not on duty.
The final Floating Bridge, Number 7, was put into service in December 1933 and Bridge Number 5 was sold, again for £75. In 1935 there was a mishap when Engineman Mr W Gill went astern instead of ahead and stranded the ferry on the Saltash side. Throughout the Second World War a half-hourly service was maintained, on the hour and half-hour from Saltash and on the quarter-hour and three-quarters from Saltash Passage. The first ferry left Saltash Passage at 6.15am and the last left at 11.15pm. Saltash residents travelled free if on foot. The normal single fares were two pence for a pedestrian, one shillings and sixpence for a car, and ten shillings for a coach. HRH the Princess Elizabeth used the Ferry to in October 1949 while she was on a two-day tour of the Duchy of Cornwall. The ferries were changed over twice a year, at night, and took five hours to complete.
During the financial year 1956-57 the Saltash Ferry ran up a loss of £6,613. It was the first year since the Second World War when the income from tolls actually fell. In 1955-56 the tolls had raised £28,182 but in 1956-57 that figure was only £26,970. The annual accounts also revealed that £3,260 had been spent on coal and £8,071 on wages. Total running costs had amounted to £33,304. The ferry tolls were increased for that summer.
The final crossing was operated by
Floating Bridge Number
6 and ran at 11pm from Saltash and 11.15pm
from Saltash Passage on October 23rd 1961. The
last car on was driven by Mr P Joblin, of Quethiock, a regular on the 11.15pm
service. His was also the last
car off, although many mysteriously broke down hoping to be pushed off last!
A special commemorative trip was from Saltash at 4.30pm on Tuesday October 24th