Webpage created: June 12, 2018
Webpage updated: June 12, 2018
STOKE DAMEREL REGISTER OFFICE
Although the registration of births, deaths and marriages commenced on July 1st 1837, there was no such thing as a Register Office until the local administration of the system was transferred to the local authorities, as required by the Local Government Act 1929.
However, the original legislation in 1836 did require that an office be provided for the Superintendent Registrar because he was required to officiate at marriages. The Stoke Damerel one was at 20 Fore Street. In later years Mr Albert Gard's office in Saint Aubyn Street was known as the Register Office.
The registrars of births and deaths mostly worked from their homes and until 1875 were required to travel around their districts to the places where the events actually occurred. After that date it became the responsibility of those involved to report the events to the Registrar.
It was only in July 1937, after the appointment of Mr Walter Naylor as Superintendent Registrar, that Plymouth amalgamated the registration districts of Devonport and East Stonehouse in to one Register Office at 40 Whimple Street, Plymouth.