OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 02, 2016.
Webpage updated: April 10, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

TRAMWAYS IN OLD DEVONPORT  |  DEVONPORT AND DISTRICT TRAMWAYS COMPANY Ltd

DEPOTS

The Devonporyt and District Tramways Company Ltd contracted Mr A Faulks to erect a large shed on spare land at Milehouse for their principal depot.  Mr Faulks was also responsible for erecting a two-car shed on the Saint Budeaux side of Weston Mill Creek to hold tramcars 22 and 24 which were to provide the shuttle service between Weston Mill and Saltash Passage until the completion of the permanent embankment across the Creek in 1903. 

Milehouse Tram Depot in 1912.

The Devonport and District Tramways Company's Depot
at Milehouse showing the access from the Tavistock Road at top left.
From Ordnance Survey sheet CXXIII.7 surveyed in 1912.

Camel's Head Tram Depot 1912.

The Devonport and District Tramways Company's Depot
at Camel's Head, showing the access from the lines in Wolseley Road.
From Ordnance Survey map CXXIII.3 surveyed in 1912.

At Milehouse Depot the American-built tramcars were put together by the local workforce, the trams having been shipped across the Atlantic in large packing cases.  On Friday April 19th 1901 the local press reported that seven had been completed and had been fitted with their motors.

After the completion of the Camel's Head embankment and the joining up of the tramways, the Camel's Head Depot was used only for housing defective tramcars.  In July 1911 Devonport Corporation received a letter from the London and South Western Railway Company pointing out to them that the Depot's four windows on one side gained light and air from over the Railway Company's property.  They requested that the Corporation should pay an acknowledgement for this but as the windows were not needed the Borough Surveyor merely had them blocked up.  The Depot was disposed of in 1927 for use as a motor garage.