OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: December 19, 2017.
Webpage updated: December 19, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

WHO WAS WHO IN OLD DEVONPORT

THOMAS HUSBAND (1761-1847)

Thomas Husband, the son of Robert and Elizabeth Husband, was baptised at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on July 28th 1761.

He married Miss Cordelia Sargent at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on August 18th 1784. 

Ann Husband was baptised at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on August 2nd 1785; Thomas Husband was baptised at the Morice Square Independent Chapel on August 15th 1787; Herbert James Husband was born on April 4th 1801 and baptised at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on August 6th 1801; James Husband was born on December 21st 1803 and baptised at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on April 24th 1804; and Courteney Husband was born on October 28th 1807 and baptised at  Stoke Damerel on  December 30th 1807.  Courteney Husband did not survive long and was buried at the same Church on November 26th 1808.  Miss Ann Husband married Mr George Glasson, a doctor of medicine, in 1822.

In 1812 Thomas Husband and his son Herbert James Husband, then only 11 years of age, were listed as operating the Plymouth-Dock General Bank.

Mrs Cordelia Husband died at the age of 74 years and was buried at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on December 7th 1839.

The announcement of the death of Thomas Husband in the "Exeter and Plymouth Gazette" of July 24th 1847 read: 'July 16th at his house, in Morice Square, Thomas Husband, Esquire, aged 87.  Mr Husband was a native of Devonport, where he resided during the whole of his long life, and for around half a century was actively engaged as a man of business, a banker, and county magistrate, in the municipal government, and other general interests of the town.  His eldest son is now the Mayor of the Borough.'

Herbert James Husband never married and died after a long illness at 3 Milne Place, Morice Town, on January 22nd 1862.  He was  buried at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on January 30th 1862.