OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 17, 2017.
Webpage updated: February 23, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

WHO WAS WHO IN OLD DEVONPORT

FREDERICK ROW (1811-1886)

Frederick Row was a descendant of a well-known Cornish family and was born at Plymouth-Dock on June 5th 1811.  He was baptized at Stoke Damerel Parish Church on August 26th 1811, his parents being Uriah and Jennifer Row.

After education at the Devonport Grammar School, as the Plymouth-Dock/Devonport Classical and Mathematical Subscription School was often called, he entered the medical profession and studied at London, Paris, Edinburgh and Dublin.  At the age of 19 he gave his first lecture on chemistry at the Devonport.  He later became a frequent lecturer at the Devonport Mechanics' Institute on matters relating to health and sanitation.  He gained his qualification as a Doctor of Medicine at the University of Edinburgh at the age of 24.  Her set up his first practice in Torpoint, Cornwall, where he was appointed the surgeon to the Saint Germans Workhouse, and he soon had established an extensive business.  It was while in Torpoint that on May 2nd 1848 at the Anglican Church of Saint Mary and Saint Julian, at Maker, he married Miss Caroline Everard, the youngest daughter of the late Mr Richard Everard, of Spalding in Lincolnshire.  She subsequently bore him two sons and seven daughters.

In addition to giving lectures, Doctor Row also wrote for the "Western Counties Miscellany" and held the positions of surgeon to the Saint Aubyn Lodge of Oddfellows (for 41 years), the 2nd Devon Rifle Volunteers, and medical officer to the contractors engaged in building the Keyham Steam Yard.  He was for many years the senior surgeon at the Royal Albert Hospital and later, following his resignation from that post, as a consulting physician.  It is recorded that in 1858 he impeached the manor authorities for allowing the former Workhouse in Duke Street to become inhabited by 227 persons.

For his entire time in Devonport he and his family resided at number 28 Ker Street, and it was there, on Sunday February 21st 1886, that he passed peacefully away.  The funeral was held on Friday February 26th 1886 at the Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse Cemetery, the arrangements having been made by Messrs T Jenkins and Son, of Devonport.  The ceremony was led by the late Doctor's brother-in-law, the Reverend George Everard, of Dover.  His son, Mr Everard Row, surgeon, and three of his daughters, Mary, Florence, and Blanche, also attended.  

 

Compiled with the assistance of the
Devon Family History Society.