OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 08, 2016.
Webpage updated: April 15, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

THE MILITARY IN OLD DEVONPORT

GRANBY SQUARE BARRACKS

Granby Square Barracks was a square of single-storey buildings erected in 1757 within "The Lines" surrounding Plymouth-Dock and occupied by the infantry.  It is the small, right-hand Square at the very top of the above map extracted from Benjamin Donn's plan of Plymouth-Dock published in 1765.  Marlborough Square Barracks is the large block to its left.

The Square took its name from Lieutenant-General John Manners (1721-1770), Marquis of Granby, one-time the Master-General of the Ordnance.

Both Marlborough Square and Granby Square were demolished between 1824 and 1830 and replaced with New Granby Barracks.  The Soldiers' Quarters adjoined the main road while within its inner wall was the Devonport Military Prison and a Bath House.