OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 08, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 08, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

THE MILITARY IN OLD DEVONPORT

MARLBOROUGH SQUARE BARRACKS

Marlborough Square Barracks was the most northerly, and the largest, of the group of single-storey Squares built in 1757 within "The Lines" at Plymouth-Dock.  It was occupied by the infantry.

It was named in honour of John Churchill (1650-1722), who was created Earl of Marlborough in 1689.

Both Marlborough Square and Granby Square were demolished between 1824 and 1830 and replaced with New Granby Barracks.