OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 08, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 08, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

THE MILITARY IN OLD DEVONPORT

ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY BARRACKS

The Royal Horse Artillery Barracks was located on the north side of Granby Row, which ran from Marlborough Street eastwards to join Granby Street.  For nearly a century it had been the Marlborough Square Barracks.

In December 1854 the Royal Engineer's Office at Devonport issued a notice inviting tenders for the construction of barracks and stables for the Royal Horse Artillery.  The site was to comprise quarters for six officers and their servants; a range of stables with harness rooms; artillery stores, and ablution rooms on the ground floor with soldiers' quarters over; an infirmary with stables and yard; a forage barn for hay, straw, and corn; a forge, shoeing shed, pharmacy, and cooking house; a guard house and cells; orderly room and workshops; privies; dung and ash pits; plus the enclosure walls, gates, side doors, roads, parades and drains.