OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 03, 2016.
Webpage updated: June 05, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

RAILWAYS IN OLD DEVONPORT

GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY COMPANY

On February 1st 1876 the Great Western Railway Company took over both the South Devon Railway Company and Cornwall Railway Company and gradually their locomotives and rolling stock replaced those of the South Devon Company that had worked trains to Cornwall.  North Road Station was opened in 1877 enabling the running of through trains without having to call and reverse at Millbay.  The GWR converted its lines from Broad to Narrow Gauge in 1892.

Keyham Station, with a small goods yard, was opened in 1900.  The line from Devonport Station to the Royal Albert Bridge was gradually doubled and the viaducts enlarged to take the double track.  The Saltash Suburban Service was started in 1904 and new stopping places were erected, Wingfield Villas Halt, Ford Platform and Saint Budeaux Platform.  In 1905 Dockyard Halt and Defiance Platform were added.  The Bull Point Ordnance Depot was linked  to the main line in 1916.

Competition from the electric tramways forced the closure of Wingfield Villas Halt in 1921.  The Great Western Railway was unaffected by the Railway Grouping of 1923.  When HMS "Defiance" closed down in 1929 Defiance Halt was no longer justified and was closed the following year.  A link between the Great Western Railway and Southern Railway at Saint Budeaux was installed in 1941 to help the wartime traffic but later that year Ford Halt and Plymouth Station were closed because of war damage and the Company lost their locomotive "Bowden Hall" to a bomb at Keyham Station.

From Thursday January 1st 1948 the entire British railway network was nationalized as British Railways, of which the GWR formed the Western Region.