Webpage created: March 24, 2019
Webpage updated: March 24, 2019
SAND HILL PARK SIDING
Sand Hill Park Siding was 4 miles 63 chains from Bere Alston Station.
At the time of the Railway Clearing House "Hand Book of Railway Stations, etc." in 1929 there was no such Siding listed but it did appear in the 1956 edition, serving Messrs J Westcott Limited. It had no mechanical equipment.
The Siding was on the Down side of the line and was served by Down freight trains only. There were several buildings alongside the Siding, possibly warehouses..
In the British Railways Southern Region Working Time Table which commenced on June 12th 1961 there was only the as Sand Hill Park Siding. It was visited by one Down train a day, on Mondays to Fridays, between 1.42pm and 1.52pm, by the 12.40pm if required train from Bere Alston. Traffic collected from the Siding therefore had to go to Callington Station first.
Sandhill Brick Works, operated by Messrs B Johns and Company, started producing white firebricks in about 1860. In addition to a large oblong building there were four beehive kilns and a clay pit. It is said that two still survive, one bricked up and the other as a garden shed. The business ceased in about 1880.
It would appear that the business and the Siding were taken over by Messrs J Westcott Limited. The Siding is reputed to have been taken out of use on January 15th 1961 yet it was still included in the Working Time Table for June 12th 1961,as described above.
There was a single siding on the Up side of the line at the same point but it is not clear if this was part of Sand Hill Park Siding or not.