Webpage created: May 06, 2018
Webpage updated: March 31, 2019
CALLINGTON STATION (CALLINGTON ROAD STATION)
Loco 30225 at Callington Station, having just
brought in a Down train.
Callington Road Station, as it was originally named, was opened by the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway Company on March 2nd 1908. It was actually located at Kelly Bray, about one mile from the town of Callington. It was known by the East Cornwall Mineral Railway Company as Kelly Bray Depot.
It was renamed Callington for Stoke Climsland Station in 1909.
In 1914,under the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway Company, the Station Master at Callington Station was 29-years-old Mr Richard Trigger, who lodged at London House.
For the Departures Board at Callington Station from June 7th until September 30th 1914 CLICK HERE.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Callington for Stoke Climsland Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, furniture vans, carriages, motor cars, portable engines and machines on wheels, live stock, horse boxes, prize cattle vans, and carriages and motor cars by passenger or parcels trains. It was equipped with a crane capable of lifting 3 tons.
Callington Station was closed to goods traffic on or as from February 28th 1966 and to passenger traffic on or as from November 7th 1966.
The Goods Yard were controlled by Callington "A" Ground Frame while the Station area was covered by Callington "B" Ground Frame. The Block Instruments for the Electric Token system were kept in the booking office.