Webpage created: February 12, 2017.
Webpage updated: February 13, 2017
Cumberland Road, a continuation of Devonport Hill from Stonehouse Bridge, began at the site of the former main guard, where George Square formerly stood, on the main access road from Plymouth through East Stonehouse.
The Road acquired its name from being constructed across the site of the former Cumberland Square Barracks, which themselves were named in honour of HRH the Prince William Augustus KG KB FRS. He was created Duke of Cumberland in 1726 and achieved national fame for beating the Jacobites at the Battle of Culloden in 1746. He died in 1765.
On the left-hand side after ascending Devonport Hill were the Garrison Church of Saint Michael and Saint George and the Recruiting Office for the Army. On the right-hand, or northern side, were the Military Hospital for Soldiers' Wives and Children; the Artillery Headquarters Office; and the Army Accounts Offices.
The horse-bus services and the Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramway Company's service between Devonport and Plymouth ran along Cumberland Road.