OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 07, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 07, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

THE MILITARY IN OLD DEVONPORT

CUMBERLAND SQUARE BARRACKS

Barrack squares in Plymouth-Dock.

Cumberland Square Barracks, named in memory of William Augustus (1721-1765), who was created the Duke of Cumberland in 1726, were erected in 1757 towards the southern end of "The Lines", just to the north of the road from the Town to Stonehouse Bridge (later known as Devonport Hill).  This is the bottom Square of the three blocks next to each other in the above extract from Benjamin Donn's map of Plymouth-Dock made in 1765.  Below it, across the road, is George's Square, while Ligonier Square and Frederick Square are immediately to the north.  Granby Square and Marlborough Square are on their own at the top of the map.

The buildings were of a single storey and were occupied by regiments of infantry in 1824.