OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 07, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 07, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

THE MILITARY IN OLD DEVONPORT

LIGONIER SQUARE BARRACKS

Like its companions, Frederick Square to the north and Cumberland Square to the south, Ligonier Square Barracks was one storey high and was commenced in 1757.  It is the middle block of the three adjacent blocks shown in the above extract from Benjamin Donn's map of Plymouth-Dock made in 1765.

It was named in honour of John Ligonier (1680-1770), otherwise Jean Louis, field-marshal in the British Army and governor of the Plymouth Garrison between 1752 and 1760.  He was created Viscount Ligonier in 1757. 

The Square was occupied by the Royal Artillery.