OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 07, 2016.
Webpage updated: February 07, 2016

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

THE MILITARY IN OLD DEVONPORT

FREDERICK SQUARE BARRACKS

Frederick Square Barracks was the top-most of the block of three barrack squares shown in the above extract from Benjamin Donn's map of Plymouth-Dock made in 1765.  Its most northerly wall was in line with Back Street, later Cherry Garden Street.  Like its neighbours it was constructed of single-storey buildings within "The Lines" in 1757.

The two blocks to its immediate south were Ligonier Square and Cumberland Square.

It was occupied by the Royal Engineers and artificers.