Webpage created: April 17, 2017.
Webpage updated: April 17, 2017
Edinburgh Road, formerly known as Dock Wall Street, or simply as Dock Wall, ran southwards from the Royal Dockyard Gate in Fore Street to to join James Street. As its former name implies, the houses faced the blank Dockyard wall. It had end-on junctions with Willes Street, Northbrook Street, Corry Street, and Duncan Street.
It did have several principal buildings: the Royal Sailors' Rest was at the corner with Fore Street; close by was the Zoar Mission Chapel; then Saint Mary's National School; and further down the Road was the Anglican Church of Saint Mary the Virgin. The Moravian Sunday School was situated in Edinburgh Road but it is not known if it was a distinctive building or just one of the houses.
Surprising for a street so close to the Dockyard, it had only one Licensed Landmark, the Newport Inn, at number 20, run in 1914 by Mr R Glanville.
Edinburgh Road had no notable businesses but it was where the author's Grandmother, then known as Miss Elsie Mallett Rogers, was born in 1891. It is no surprise to find that she married a Royal Navy man.