Webpage created: February 24,, 2016.
Webpage updated: March 19, 2017
Gloucester Street was located in the Morice Town district between Mooncove Street at the rear of William Street and Ross Street/Hood Street.
In 1914 numbers 1 to 36 Gloucester Street were on the northern side running from Mooncove Street towards Hood Street and numbers 37 to 74 were on the southern side running back to Mooncove Street.
Principal buildings in Gloucester Street were the Gloucester Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, on the corner with Mooncove Street, by the side of house number 1, and the Gloucester Street Salvation Army Hall, adjoining number 47 on the corner with Garden Street.
Licensed Landmarks in Gloucester Street in 1914 were beer retailers at numbers 11 (the Builders' Arms Public House), 24 (the Victory Inn), and 37 (the Gloucester Arms Public House), and the Prince Teck at number 23, on the corner of Garden Street.
Mrs Seldon ran a general store at number 10, on the corner with Charlotte Street, diagonally opposite another general store run by Mr F Francis. There were two others at 30, Mr Ernest Littlejohn, and 46, Mr G Rutter. Albert Road was the nearest place for tramway services.
Gloucester Street was badly damaged during the Second World War with only the Salvation Army Hall, the Prince Teck immediately opposite it, the Gloucester Arms Public House at number 37, and four residential houses left useable.