Webpage created: March 04, 2017.
Webpage updated: March 04, 2017
Devonport's High Street, with the Devonport
In most villages and towns the High Street was the most important highway in the place and where all the most significant retail shops were situated. In Plymouth-Dock the High Street was the complete opposite. short and almost totally obscure.
High Street ran from Granby Street to the very eastern end of Fore Street, alongside the Devonport Public Hall in Fore Street. On the western side, in 1914, was a hairdresser, a confectioner, and the Princes Street Congregational Chapel and Sunday School, on the corner with Princes Street. So insignificant was the High Street that even the Chapel took the title of a more important road.