Webpage created: April 18, 2017.
Webpage updated: April 18, 2017
NEW PASSAGE HILL
New Passage Hill ran, and indeed still runs, from the northern end of Marlborough Street, where it crosses Morice Square and Marlborough Row, down the hill of the former glacis to William Street. It formed the only way from Plymouth-Dock to the New Passage for Torpoint and Cornwall. At the bottom of the Hill is Ferry Road, which leads to the Torpoint Ferry and Pottery Quay.
At the point beyond the Royal Albert Hospital and Eye Infirmary and the beginning of Devonport "Peoples' Park" was the trench across which travellers had to pass through an archway and across a drawbridge. This was removed in the 1870s. The entrance to the Hospital was officially in Marlborough Row. There were no buildings on the Hill.
The wall on the left side going down the Hill is that of the Gun Wharf, the main entrance to which was at the bottom of the Hill.
The Devonport and District Tramway passed down New Passage Hill and was used in 1914, by services to Camel's Head and Milehouse via Saint Levan Road.