OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 14, 2017.
Webpage updated: May 07, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD DEVONPORT

QUEEN STREET

Queen Street ran from the Royal Dockyard Gate in Fore Street northwards to the Gun Wharf and Hamoaze Place.

Its principal building and business was the Eagle Brewery, at number 36, although the brewery building itself was in the lane at the rear.

There were a large number of Licensed Landmarks in 1914: the Cambridge Hotel (number 4, on the corner with Cornwall Street); the Standard Inn (number 8); the Ordnance Inn (number 11), and the Bull's Head Inn (number 44) as well as three beer retailers.  Other trades represented included a hair dresser, a coal dealer, a pork butcher, a fish dealer, a furniture broker, a refreshment house, a leather grindery, several confectioners, the premises of Messrs Cullum and Company, naval outfitters, and a Receiving Office of the Great Western Railway (Messrs Roskilly and Son).