Webpage created: February 10, 2016
Webpage updated: January 19, 2019
William Street, Morice Town, in the early
William Street ran from Ferry Road northwards to Tamar Road on the western side and Albert Road (formerly Navy Row) on the eastern side. The Street was closed off in February 1960 prior to the site being absorbed into the Royal Dockyard.
Another view northwards along William Street:
the Dockyard Tower can be seen in the distance.
In 1914 numbers 1 to 18 were on the west side starting at Ferry Road and ending at the corner of Tamar Road, with numbers 19 to 40 returning from Albert Road on the eastern side.
The principal building in William Street were the sub-post office at number 10 and the Morice Town Picture Palace at number 32.
William Street, Morice Town, looking north
towards the Keyham Steam Yard gate, August 1959.
There were a number of licensed landmarks: the Steam Reserve Public House at number 6; the Prince Arthur Inn at number 18 on the corner with Tamar Road; the Duke of Wellington Inn (23), the Royal Alfred |Hotel (28), the Royal Standard Inn (38) and the Morice Town Wine and Spirit Vaults at number 40, opposite Ferry Road.
Number 40 William Street, the Morice Town Wine
and Spirit Vaults, September 1959.
Among the many trades represented in William Street were four refreshment houses or dining rooms; two watchmakers; and three newsagents, Mr F L Paul, Mr R Pengelly, and Mr W Congdon. But William Street was most widely known for being the home of naval outfitters and in 1914 this included Mr B Joseph (number12); Messrs Greenburgh Brothers (15); and Mr B Baun (17). The Plymouth Co-operative Society had a grocery branch in the Street. One unusual retailer was Mr H F Serpell, chocolate stores (34).
Tram routes 3, 8 and 10, all of which terminated in Morice Square, passed through William Street on their way to Plymouth via Saint Levan Road and Peverell; Saint Budeaux Square and Plymouth via Saint Levan Road and Alma Road respectively.