Webpage created: April 18, 2017.
Webpage updated: April 18, 2017
Ferry Road up until the opening of Park Avenue after the Second World War started at the junction of William Street and New Passage Hill and ran westwards to the Devonport landing stage of the Torpoint Ferry.
The Ferry Hotel has been a Licensed Landmark ever since the New Passage route across Hamoaze was opened in 1799.
Prominent Buildings in 1914, other than the Hotel, were the Police Station, the Royal Naval Recruiting Office, the Fire Brigade Station and the Labour Exchange, all clustered at the entrance to the Gun Wharf, later Morice Yard.
Number 1 Ferry Road was occupied by a beer retailer, Mr J W Gliddon, number 4 by a hairdresser, Mr E C Moses, and number 5 by newsvendor, Mr F Codd.
Between the Ferry Hotel and Pottery Quay Landing Stage was Pottery Road.