Webpage created: April 11, 2016.
Webpage updated: April 11, 2016
Little is known about the Company's horse tramcars except that some had knifeboard seating on the top deck and others had transverse, or "garden", seating. They were all replaced with electric tramcars in 1901, as below. The Company had separate depots for horse and electric trams.
Numbers 1 to 12 and 14 to 15 were acquired from Messrs Dick, Kerr and Company in 1901. There was no car 13. They had Brill 21E motors, were canopied and had reverse stairs. They had three large windows on each side downstairs, each with two droplights for ventilation.
Number 16 was acquired from Messrs Dick, Kerr and Company in 1916. It had Brill 21E motors, was canopied and had normal stairs. All of the cars seated 24 people inside (downstairs) and 24 people outside (on top).
The Company's livery was light green and cream, with a belt and buckle logo surrounding the tramcar number on the waist panel.
All the above fifteen tramcars were transferred to Plymouth Corporation Tramways Department in 1922.
Normal stairs turned left to the top deck.
The more modern Reverse stairs turned right to the top deck to allow for a canopy over both driving ends and thus extra seating on the top deck.