OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 19, 2021
Webpage updated: April 19, 2021

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD DEVONPORT

DUKE STREET

Duke Street, Devonport, ran from the junction with Catherine Street and James Street south-eastwards to George Street and the bottom of Ker Street.

Devonport Market was on the northern side.  Among the prominent buildings in Duke Street were: the former Devonport Mechanics' Institute, later Devonport Public Library; the Bakers' Arms Public House; the Anglican Church of Saint John the Baptist, later the Dockland Settlement; the Duke Street Inn; and the Foresters' Arms Public House.

Duke Street Ope, where the photographer's car is parked,
and numbers 23 to 26 Duke Street.  Number 22 has already been demolished.
City of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery.

The Plymouth Co-operative Society had shops at numbers 68,69 ands 70, on the south side, on the corner with Monument Street.

The Duke Street Inn, next to what was in 1959 the Dockland Settlement.
Note the interesting selection of old cars parked outside.
City of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery.