OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: December 05, 2017.
Webpage updated: December 05, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD DEVONPORT

ORDNANCE STREET

Ordnance Street ran from Queen Street to Morice Square.

In 1914 the north side comprised Corporation Buildings, while there were only four residential properties on the south side, one, number 12, occupied by boot maker Mr W Gould.

The memorial stone for the Corporation Buildings was laid by Mr George S Bennee, the then chairman of the Housing of the Working Classes Committee, on Wednesday August 6th 1902.  Also present were the Mayor of Devonport, Mr Edgar M Leest, and his Deputy, Mr T H Gill; the Town Clerk, Mr A B Pilling; the Borough Surveyor, Mr John F Burns; the Borough Treasurer, Mr J B Hoare; a representative of the Devonport School Board, Mr W J Moon; and the Chief Constable, Mr J Matters.

Mr A N Coles was the contractor for the three blocks of buildings, which would provide 63 self-contained dwellings of two and three rooms each.  The total cost was expected to be 17,500.  After the ceremony refreshments were taken in a marquee erected on the site and in which an inscribed, silver cup was presented by Mr Coles to the Mayor.

The proposed rents for these properties, comprising bedroom, sitting-room and scullery, ranged between 5 shillings and 6s 9d.

Off Ordnance Lane, which ran from Ordnance Street to Cannon Street, were the entrances to Mr H Langmead's waggon works and Mr C Petherick's stables.