OLD DEVONPORT . UK
www.olddevonport.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 08, 2017.
Webpage updated: April 08, 2017

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD DEVONPORT

SAINT STEPHEN STREET

Following the erection of the Anglican Church of Saint Stephen between 1852 and 1858, what had previously been known as Georges lane was renamed Saint Stephen Street.  The Church was on the corner of Clowance Street and George Street.

It ran southwards from Ker Street and Mount Street to Clowance Street.

There were no principal buildings in Saint Stephen Street and no shops or licensed premises although in 1914 a cab driver (Mr W Reeve), a chimney sweep (Mr John Bott), a rag buyer (Mr C Downey) and a mineral water manufacturer (Mr E Collins) all lived in the Street.