Webpage created: February 04, 2016.
Webpage updated: June 07, 2017
LONDON AND SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY COMPANY
The London and South Western Railway Company arrived in Devonport, where it opened a terminal station, by using legal powers that enabled them to run their trains over the line of the Great Western Railway Company between Lydford Station and Tavistock Junction by adding a third rail to the GWR's Broad Gauge track. By then adding a curve between the line to Plymouth Station at Millbay, and the main line to Cornwall, known as the Cornwall Loop, the LSWR by-passed Plymouth Station and after leaving the main line at Devonport Junction entered its own terminus, Devonport and Stonehouse Station. The line and the Station were opened on May 18th 1876. This meant that LSWR trains as well as GWR trains all stopped at Lydford, Mary Tavy, Tavistock, Horrabridge, Bickleigh and Marsh Mills Stations.
In 1877 the LSWR jointly opened the North Road Plymouth Station. The Stonehouse Pool Branch, from Devonport Station to Stonehouse Pool, was opened to goods traffic only in 1886.
The Plymouth, Devonport and South West Junction Railway Company opened their line in 1890 and the LSWR trains used that route from then onwards. Stations were provided at Tavistock, Bere Aslton, Bere Ferrers and Saint Budeaux for Saltash. The line was extended at the eastern end to Friary Station in 1891. Tamerton Foliot Station was added in 1898. Ocean Quay Station was opened in 1904 when the inaugural Ocean Special train ran to London Waterloo for the benefit of the Atlantic liners. It was short lived. In 1906 the Saint Budeaux Suburban Service was started and Albert Road Halt, Camel's Head Halt and Weston Mill Halt were opened.
As from January 1st 1923 the London and South Western Railway was amalgamated with the Southern Railway Company as a result of the Railway Grouping Scheme.