Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: February 22, 2016
Webpage updated: March 10, 2022

To go to the Home Page          To go to the A-Z Contents Page



Saint Budeaux for Saltash Station in LSWR days.
Note the covered walkway to the Down platform on the right.
From a postcard.

Unlike its rival, the Great Western Railway Company, the London and South Western Railway Company provided the village of Saint Budeaux with a proper railway station right from the start.  Known then as Saint Budeaux for Saltash Station, it opened to the public on Monday June 2nd 1890.  It had a signal box controlling the entrance to a goods yard.

A 'Shocking Railway Fatality' occurred at Saint Budeaux Station on Saturday January 28th 1893.  The Western Morning News continued: 'A clerk in the employ of the Plymouth Dairy Company, named William John Scoble, who resided at Anchorage Cottage, 4 Chaddlewood-avenue, Lipson, was crossing the line with the intention, it is supposed, of getting to the down platform, when he was caught by the fast express, due at North-road Station at 8.23, and literally cut to pieces, the head being completely severed from the body.  The train was about twelve minutes late, and was travelling at great speed.  As it was a dark, dirty night, Scoble was probably never seen by the engine-driver, who ran the train straight on to Plymouth quite unconscious of the fatality.  The mutilated body was discovered close by the signal-box at Saint Budeaux, but the only means by which its identity could possibly be made was by an envelope found in the pocket of the deceased, on which his name and address was written.  A telegram was immediately sent to North-road Station giving the information of the fatality, and asking for inquiries to be made at the address given on the envelope.  The inquiries were at once made, and resulted in identity being confirmed.  The deceased, who was near-sighted, was about 28 years of age.  He was married, and leaves a widow and two children.'

The inquest was held by the county coroner, Mr R R Rodd, at the Trelawney Hotel, Saint Budeaux Square, on Monday January 30th 1893.  The age of the deceased was revised to 32 years of age.  Those who gave evidence were: Mr Thomas Jarvis, brother-in-law, of 3 Hastings Street, Plymouth, who identified the remains; Miss Emma Tripling, of the Trelawny Hotel, who served the deceased with 'three-pennyworth of peppermint' at the bar at about a quarter to eight; Mr Henry Godbear, porter and relieveing signalman at Saint Budeaux Signal Box, who discovered the body after the express had passed through at 8.23pm; Mr William Chapple, the engine driver; Mr William Whitford, manager of the Plymouth Dairy Company; Police Constable Copplestone, who recovered the remains of the body; Mr Edmund Tolley, the station master; and Mr William Northcott, porter.  Inspector John Foster, of the LSWR at Exeter, observed the proceedings.  The foreman of the jury, Mr Cuddeford, gave the verdict of Accidental Death.  It transpired that the deceased also left a widowed mother who was partly dependant upon him. 

As from Wednesday March 1st 1905 quarterly season tickets were available by the London and South Western Railway between Saint Budeaux Station and Friary Station for 2 5s 0d first class, 1 15s 0d second class and 1 8s third class; also to Mutley Station and North Road Plymouth Station for 2 first class, 1 10s second class and 1 4s third class; and to Devonport Station for 1 5s 0d first class, 17s 6d second class and 14s third class; and to Ford Station for 1 first class, 15s second class and 12s third class.

An LSWR Up train waiting at Saint Budeaux for Saltash Station.
Note the station name board.
From author's collection.

On Wednesday September 26th 1906 the LSWR inaugurated its new suburban service between Devonport Station and Saint Budeaux.  There were eighteen trains in each direction on weekdays and eight on Sundays. The first car left Devonport Station and 6.18am, returning from Saint Budeaux at 6.40am.   The last car left Devonport Station at 10.30pm and Saint Budeaux at 11.10pm.  On Sundays the service would start at 9.08am from Devonport and 9.27am from Saint Budeaux and continue until the last train left Devonport at 10.08pm and Saint Budeaux at 10.25pm.   The fare from Devonport to Camel's Head was one penny and to Weston Mill and Saint Budeaux, two pence. All trains called at Ford Station.  From Monday October 1st 1906 this service was extended in to Friary Station.

The LSWR staff pose for a picture at Saint Budeaux for Saltash Station.
Note that the main buildings were on the Down side.
From author's collection.

Following the nationalisation of the railway network as British Railways on Thursday January 1st 1948, the Station was renamed Saint Budeaux Victoria Road from Monday September 26th 1949 to distinguish it from the former Great Western Railway stopping place in Ferry Road.

Mr L P Roose was the Station Master at Saint Budeaux Station in June 1948.  He was also responsible for Tamerton Foliot Station.

On Weekdays and Sundays, 'where train service permits', commencing on May 1st 1953, the following cheap day return tickets, first and third class, were available from Saint Budeaux Victoria Road Station to: Bere Alston, 2 shillings (s) 6 pence (d) 1st, 1s 8d 3rd; Bere Ferrers, 1s 9d 1st, 1s 2d 3rd; Brentor, 6s 6d 1st, 4s 3d 3rd; Bridestowe, 8s 1st, 5s 3d 3rd; Callington, 5s 9d 1st, 3s 9d 3rd; Calstock, 3s 1st, 2s 3rd; Gunnislake, 4s 1st, 2s 9d 3rd; Lydford BRSR, 6s 9d 1st, 4s 6d 3rd; Tavistock North, 4s 9d 1st, 3s 3d, 3rd.  Tickets were valid for return from Lydford BRSR Station, Lydford BRWR Station, Tavistock North Station, or Tavistock South Station by either route.

For the Departures from Saint Budeaux Victoria Road in June 1954 CLICK HERE.

The shop and the entrance to Saint Budeaux Victoria Road Station
from Saint Budeaux Square, 1960.
  Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery.

According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Saint Budeaux Victoria Road Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, furniture vans, carriages, motor cars, portable engines and machines on wheels, live stock, horse boxes, prize cattle vans, and carriages and motor cars by passenger or parcels trains.  It was equipped with a crane capable of lifting 1 ton 10 hundredweight (cwt).

Goods traffic ceased as from Monday December 11th 1961 and it was renamed Saint Budeaux Halt and became unstaffed as from Sunday July 18th 1965.  It became simply Saint Budeaux as from Monday May 5th 1969.  On and as from September 7th 1970, the former main line between Saint Budeaux and Bere Alston was singled and formed pasrt of the new Tamar valley line to Gunnislake.

Saint Budeaux Victoria Road Station is still open, denuded of all its previous facilities, but is served only by the services on the Bere Alston and Gunnislake Branch.  Train drivers now have to collect a single line train token from a box on the platform to allow on the branch and return it to the box when the train leaves on its way back to Plymouth Station.