Webpage created: May 08, 2017
Webpage updated: November 12, 2022
The principal entrance was through Fore Street Gate but there was also an entrance at Mutton Cove. Just inside the Fore Street Gate stood the Royal Dockyard Chapel of Saint Loe, until it was destroyed in 1941.
Basin number with its associated Dock number 1 date from 1693.
A disastrous fire occurred on Sunday September 1840 that started aboard HMS "Talvera" lying in the Head Dock. The fire consumed a great deal of Dockyard property as well as HMS "Talavera" and HMS "Imogene".
Principal buildings in South Yard, which is now a conservation area, include The Terrace; the King's Hill Gazebo (S186); Rose Cottage (S155); Joiners' Shop (S095); Building Slip Number 1 (S180); Building Slip 2 (the Shallow Dock), Building Slip 3; Building Slip 4; the Scrieve Board (S162); Building Slip number 5; Dock 2 (formerly the Head Dock and Stern Dock and later the Long Dock); Dock 3; Dock 4 (formerly New Union Dock/New North Dock and Dock 5); the Police and Cashiers Offices; the Fire Engine House (S032); the East Rope House (S132); the West Rope House; Number 24 Store, The White Yarn Store (S135); Number 25 Store, Tarring and Wheel House (S136); Number 26 Store, The Tarred Yarn House (S137); Number 27 Store, The Tarred Yarn Store (S138); the Oakum Store Number 28; the Slab Floor, Machine Shop 2, Machine Shop 2A, Shipwrights' Machine Shop number 3, Machine Shop 4, Machine Shop 5, South Smithery (S126), South Saw Mills (S128, S148, S149, S150), with Workmens' Dining Hall over, Mould Loft and Mould Loft Shops, Buoy House, Master Ropemaker's House (S103); Master Ropemaker's Office (S97 and S98); the Mutton Cove Gate; the Police Office, Mutton Cove, the Mortuary; the former Cashier's and Police Office later Admiral Superintendent's Office later Dockyard Museum (SO32); and many more (to be added).