Webpage created: May 15, 2018
Webpage updated: May 30, 2018
TAVISTOCK NORTH STATION
Tavistock Station was constructed by the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway Company and opened for traffic on June 2nd 1890.
On September 26th 1949 British Railways renamed the Station as Tavistock North to avoid confusion with Tavistock South Station on the former Great Western Railway Company's Launceston Branch, the other side of Town.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Tavistock North Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, furniture vans, carriages, motor cars, portable engines and machines on wheels, live stock, horse boxes, prize cattle vans, and carriages and motor cars by passenger or parcels trains. It was equipped with a crane capable of lifting 10 tons.
Tavistock Station was closed to freight traffic on or as from February 28th 1966 and to passenger traffic on or as from May 6th 1968, when the line between Okehampton Station and Devonport Junction Signal Box was closed.
|With acknowledgment to the work of the Signalling Record Society.|